Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Survivorman Versus Man Vs. Wild

I'm an avid watcher of the Discovery Channel. Not any of the educational stuff of course. The useless stuff like How It's Made (which tells me how carboard boxes and frozen pizzas are made) and occasionally MythBusters (which tells me eel skin wallets does not demagnitize credit cards and that if you feed a Christmas tree soda for 6 weeks, it dies). Oh and of course Man Vs. Wild and Suvivorman. While both concepts are also virtually useless, they're both incredibly entertaining and usually disturbing at the same time. On a personal thought, I doubt anyone will ever be stranded in the Lousiana swamps and have to hunt gator. If I were, I don't think I would hunt gator on the account of I know my limitations and the few natural instincts that I do have tell me that gator would win. However I have eaten gator before. It tastes just like something you expect something that sits around eating week old carcasses and fungus ridden fish would taste. Anyway back to the subject. Constantly watching Man Vs. Wild, I stumbled across Suvivorman. Bear vs um... whatever the survivorman's name is. If I had to be stuck in the wilds of the Savannah, would I rather have Bear, an ex-special forces member with a black belt and currently the youngest Brit to climb Mt. Everest, or Les Stroud (I had to look his name up), a Canadian who completed the Music Industry Arts program from Fanshaw College and became a wilderness guide after working for a Canadian version of MTV channel known as MuchMusic? Gee. Yeah. That's a toughie. Lemme think. I don't want that guy who spent more time learning the difference between an A and and D chord on the guitar over the guy who served in the Indian army. After watching episodes of both shows, I would have to say Bear is more entertaining and useful if I were lost in the wild. Yeah, Les really teaches me how to survive in the wild. Maybe if I was lost with about 20 grand worth of expensive camping equiptment, Les would be a great guide. Wikipedia lists the amount of equipment that Les takes into the wild for each episode as follows (and everyone prepares for an event like being lost the wilderness by the way so everyone would have this stuff within reach): his clothes, camera equiptment, a harmonica, a Leatherman multi-tool and "everyday" items. Everyday Items: that's keyword for everything that you would plan to take if you were going camping and you think you're roughing it by bringing only one of your Blackberrys. Basically the same thing as stepping onto your screened in porch and sleeping there overnight. So Survivorman versus Man Vs. Wild. I think the guy with the British accent who hunts gators with his bare hands wins.

No comments:

Post a Comment